When people ask me if Rwanda is safe, I often answer that the greatest danger of walking alone at night is falling in a hole by the road. Today, I got the confirmation that Rwanda is the safest place in the world. When I was coming home from the market, with my hands full of things my wallet was discretly taken out of my pocket. I only realized when I got home and couldn't get in because my keys were also in there. I went back to the market and asked in my poor kinyarwanda if anyone had found it. Without much hope -mainly becuse of lack of belief in my language skills-, I went back home, more worried about the keys than about the 3000 francs (about 3 pounds) that I had lost. I was still on my way home when this guy came running saying they had found the thief. They took me to him and, followed by the mob, we went to the akarenge (cell office). It was a couple. They had the money but not the wallet with the keys anymore. After a lot of shouting and arguing, they told me the woman was going to go and get my wallet. I was a bit sceptic when they let her go like that, but sure enough, ten minutes later, she returned with my wallet and my keys! They police have to keep the money to write the report (don't ask me why) and tomorrow I have to go to formally "accuse" the thieves and get my money back. Unbelievable!
Cuando la gente me pregunta si Ruanda es peligroso, a menudo respondo que el mayor peligro de andar solo por la noche es caerse en un hoy. Hoy he recibido la confirmación de que Ruanda es efectivamente el país más seguro del mundo. Cuando volvía del mercad con las manos cargadas de cosas, me sacaron discretamente el monedero del bolsillo. Sólo me di cuenta al llegar a casa y no poder entrar porque las llaves estaban también en el monedero. Más preocupada por ellas que por el dinero (3000 francos, unos 4 euros), volví al mercado para preguntar en mi precario kinyarwanda si alguien las había encontrado. Sin muchas esperanzas, más por la falta de confianza en mis habilidades lingüísticas que otra cosa, me volví para casa. No había llegado todavía cuando un chico vino corriendo diciendo que habían encontrado al ladrón. Me llevaron hasta ellos -era una pareja- y, después, a la oficina de la célula (akarenge), donde, tras muchos gritos y discusiones, rodeados por una masa de gente, consiguieron que la mujer devolviera el dinero. Siguieron más gritos y discusiones -esta vez con la policía allí- y dejaron marchar a la mujer, explicándome que iba a buscar mi monedero con las llaves. Yo era un escéptica ante este procedimiento, pero, diez minutos minutos más tarde, ahí que vuelve con mi monedero y las llaves. La policía se ha quedado con el dinero para escribir el atestado (no me pregunteis por qué) y mañana tengo que ir a la comisaría-cárcel para "acusar" formalmente a los detenidos... ¡Increíble!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment