
On Saturday it was my birthday party. A truly enjoyable and amusing experience! I got up at five thirty in the morning to start preparing the cake. Not having an oven quite limited the possibilities so, in the end, I went for a banana cake with dulce de leche (like toffee) on a base of massed biscuits mixed with margarine. The only problem is that I didn´t quite take into account that a very important element for the success of this recipe involves putting it in the fridge so that the base of massed biscuits gets hard. After waiting for the whole day for it to cool down and harden I had to make small portions of pieces of foil to make it manageable. Then I went to the market to buy the ingredients for the food and spent the rest of the day trying to adapt Spanish recipies to the local conditions, which proved to be quite amusing. When making the croquetas, I opened a bag of - supposedly- bread crumps to find a peculiar mixture of bright yellow and red bits, the Spanish omelette looked completely white and the roasted peppers had to be green because, for some reason, they never seem to get red in this country. And the sangría... well, it might not have been exactly "sangría" but it was very nice.
By three all the food was ready and we were starting to set up the back garden when the storm came. Fortunately, it only lasted a couple of hours so we still had time to prepare after it. We put up banners and posters made on rice sacks and lighted the whole garden with candles.
With incredible punctuality, at six o´clock, all the Rwandan guests arrived. They broght me very sweet presents: some kind of frames made with string with messages saying 'happy birthday', some really cheesy birthday cards, some eggs and even a bottle of passion fruit juice!
I think some of them were expecting a bottle of beer for each or something. This guy we didn´t even know came in and, apparently, after trying our "sangría" said : "This isn´t alcohol" and left. Hehe.
After about an hour waiting for my friends from VSO (this time the abazungu were the impunctual ones) the locals started to ask what time the "ceremony" was supposed to start. I don't know if they were expecting some kind of opening speech or something... In any case, I didn't want to start with the food untill the others arrived and thank god I waited. My friends arrived at seven and I uncoverd the plates with the food. They seemed to love Spanish food and even the messy banana cake flew! I didn't get to try anything, but judging by how quickly everything went, it must have been delicious!
After that, most of them left, so it was only the abazungu left. We chatted, exchanged experiences about bites and the like, danced for a while, sang some karaoke and, having got used to the Rwandan timetable, went to bed at eleven thirty (didn´t even make it to midnight).
Paul gave me two great presents: two rabbits (mum and child), which I´ve named "itchy and scratchy" -guess why- and... a guitar! I don't know if it's his plan to keep the kids away, through the unbearable sound of me playing...
By three all the food was ready and we were starting to set up the back garden when the storm came. Fortunately, it only lasted a couple of hours so we still had time to prepare after it. We put up banners and posters made on rice sacks and lighted the whole garden with candles.
With incredible punctuality, at six o´clock, all the Rwandan guests arrived. They broght me very sweet presents: some kind of frames made with string with messages saying 'happy birthday', some really cheesy birthday cards, some eggs and even a bottle of passion fruit juice!
I think some of them were expecting a bottle of beer for each or something. This guy we didn´t even know came in and, apparently, after trying our "sangría" said : "This isn´t alcohol" and left. Hehe.
After about an hour waiting for my friends from VSO (this time the abazungu were the impunctual ones) the locals started to ask what time the "ceremony" was supposed to start. I don't know if they were expecting some kind of opening speech or something... In any case, I didn't want to start with the food untill the others arrived and thank god I waited. My friends arrived at seven and I uncoverd the plates with the food. They seemed to love Spanish food and even the messy banana cake flew! I didn't get to try anything, but judging by how quickly everything went, it must have been delicious!
After that, most of them left, so it was only the abazungu left. We chatted, exchanged experiences about bites and the like, danced for a while, sang some karaoke and, having got used to the Rwandan timetable, went to bed at eleven thirty (didn´t even make it to midnight).
Paul gave me two great presents: two rabbits (mum and child), which I´ve named "itchy and scratchy" -guess why- and... a guitar! I don't know if it's his plan to keep the kids away, through the unbearable sound of me playing...

El sábado fue mi fiesta de cumple. ¡Toda una experiencia!
Me levanté a las cinco y media para empezar a preparar la tarta. Al no tener horno, las posibilidades eran bastante limitadas, pero al final me decidí por una tarta de plátano con dulce de leche sobre una base de galleta machacada mezclada con margarina. Lo único que no tuve en cuenta es que, normalmente en esta receta, un elemento fundamental es la nevera para que la base se endurezca. Después de esperar todo el día a ver si enfriaba lo suficiente para endurecerse, tuve que optar por partir porciones individuales y ponerlas en papel de aluminio para hacer el invento manejable.
Luego fui al mercado para comprar los ingredientes y pasé el resto del día tratando de adaptar recetas españolas a los recursos disponibles; lo cual resultó bastante divertido. Para hacer las croquetas, abrí una paquete de lo que, se suponía, era pan rallado, para encontrarme una extraña mezcla de bolitas rojas y amarillas, la tortilla quedó blanca y los pimientos asados tuvieron que ser verdes porque, por alguna extraña razón, nunca llegan a ponerse rojos en este país. Y la sangría... bueno, no sé si se podría llamar sangría, pero estaba muy buena.
Para las tres, toda la comida estaba lista y nos disponíamos a preparar el jardín cuando llegó la tormenta. Por suerte sólo duró un par de horas, así que todavía nos dio tiempo de hacerlo antes de que llegaran los invitados. Pusimos carteles de "feliz cumpleaños" y pósters hechos en sacos de patatas y alumbramos todo con velitas. Quedó muy chulo.
Con increíble puntualidad, a las seis, todos los invitados ruandeses llegaron. Me trajeron regalos muy lindos como unos marquitos hechos con cuerda en los que pone "feliz cumpleaños", huevos, tarjetas de cumpleaños superhorteras y hasta una botella de zumo de maracuyá!
Creo que algunos de ellos esperaban una botella de cerveza por persona o algo así, porque un tipo que no conocíamos vino y, cuando le dimos un vaso de sangría, dijo "esto no es alcohol" y se largó. Jeje.
Al cabo de una hora o así esperando a mis amigos de VSO (esta vez los impuntuales fueron los abazungu), la gente de aquí empezó a preguntar que a qué hora empezaba la "ceremonia". No sé si esperaban un discurso de apertura o qué. En cualquier caso, no quería empezar con la comida hasta que no llegara todo el mundo. ¡Y menos mal que esperé! A las siete y pico llegaron mis amigos de VSO y destapé los platos de la comida. Creo que les encantó la comida española porque hasta la problemática tarta de plátano voló. Yo no llegué a probar nada pero, juzgando por la velocidad a la que desapareció todo, debía de estar buenísimo.
Después, la mayoría se fueron y sólo nos quedamos los abazungu. Charlamos un rato, intercambiamos experiencias sobre picaduras varias, bailamos, cantamos karaoke, y - habiéndonos acostumbrado a los horarios ruandeses, para las once y media estábamos en la cama (no llegamos ni a la medianoche, ¡qué vergüenza!).
Paul me regaló dos conejos (mamá y bebé), a los que he bautizado "itchy" y "scratchy" - adivinad por qué- y ¡una guitarra! No sé si es su plan para alejar a compañías indeseables con el sonido de mi "música"...
No comments:
Post a Comment